Saturday, March 31, 2007

I strongly dislike the Easter bunny

What is the purpose of the Easter bunny? How is it in any way related to Christ, the Easter story, the Resurrection - whatever your belief? When Mary didn't find Christ in the tomb, was there a path of Easter eggs that led her to where he was? I don't remember that in the bible. Did a happy bunny come hopping along and show her where to go?

Mostly, I'm annoyed that my children will search the house for their hidden Easter basket, marvel at all the wonderful candy and fun toys inside it, and thank the Easter bunny. I will spend hours shopping (did that today) and hours putting them together (next Saturday after bed) - not to mention the money involved in buying all these things, and I get nothing! I'm probably being selfish. Note to self: thank mom for all the Easter baskets I got as a kid. Anyway.

Does this bug anyone else, or is it just me?

3 comments:

Nancy Cavanaugh said...

I'm not a big fan of the EB or Santa because of the whole expectation thing and how much goes into it with no reward for the hard work that is put into it. My daughter is 11 now. I think she knows the truth but won't admit it. She just found out about the Tooth Fairy. It shouldn't be much of a leap to go from Tooth Fairy to the EB and Santa. Personally, I'm more than ready for it.

Anonymous said...

Although born in Bethlehem, Jesus was a Galilean from Nazareth, a village near Sepphoris, one of the two major cities of Galilee (Tiberias was the other). He was born to Joseph and Mary shortly before the death of Herod the Great. You surely know these facts. BUT..

Although it is not widely known, Sepphoris was the principle hub of an ancient chocolate manufacturing network that largely defined ancient Galilee. The town of Tiberius, which takes its name from the Aramaic word Tiberoosyeggsy, or 'little city of multi-colored eggs and yellow bunnies", shared geographic proximity but few economic ties. My research indicates that the Tiberians and their eggs were viewed by the chocolaty Sepphorians as silly. One partial text from the famous Smegma Scrolls, quotes a Tiberian merchant as saying,

"Sam wabra ethpal", "Colored eggs, that's fucking crazy".

Although translation to modern English surely does not capture certain period nuance, it certainly captures the spirit of the relationship.

The afore mentioned Herod the Great, in an effort to bridge the economic divide, proposed a unique solution. Fearing competition from the famously bunny and marshmallow crazy Turks, Herod forced the two towns to cooperate. His edict, enforced by threat of severest penalty, reads thusly.
"From now on, we will make little candies and chocolates. They will all be very pretty and colorful. there will also be bunnies, lots of them. My only son Frank, in his sensible manner shall over see this muhriment(sic). The kiddies will dig it, and we know they are the real movers, right? In honor of the young, these little treats shall be presented at the time of birth. Or else."

Centuries later, the sands of time and uncounted translations, have reduced this passage to "Frankinsense and Muhr" and "Presented to the child."

Thus the common misconception.

Amy said...

I've always figured the Easter bunny was just another Hallmark invention.

I always make a point to put religious items in the Easter baskets. This year I found a great book children's book that explained that Easter was not about the eggs & bunny, and while those are fun, the real purpose of Easter is to celebrate Christ's resurrection.