Friday, March 23, 2007

No talking day

My 6th grader Boobear has a no talk day at school. This is just for her class, and I think her teacher is brilliant. I have decided to adopt this idea for myself at home. You know those days when you want to change your name to dad, well, instead - let's just not talk. My day would be something like this:

Wake up to the sound of children's banter. A few screams. One or two fake crying attempts. Go into the t.v. room. Hear a chorus of "mom!". Shake my head no and hold my finger to my lips, signaling quiet. Have handsome ask me "what?". Again signal quiet. His response would be something like this: "Me no know what you doin' mom. Tell me." Insisting on my no talking day would have him upset to the point of hysterics, throwing his door shut, and pulling all the pictures off his walls. Why? I don't know. He is a boy. That is all I know.

Sunshine is too little to understand what a no talk day is, so telling him SShhhh! would have him defiantly telling me NO! in a loud and obnoxious sound. He would then run around the house trying to break the world's record for the loudest and most horrible sound possible.

The girls would begin an argument about who was quiet first, the longest, or who heard someone else say something when they shouldn't have. It would end with one getting hit in the arm, and another one smacked in the nose. And there would be crying. And tattle-taling. And then it would begin again.

I would get so frustrated with the whole no talk day that I would get mad and yell at all of them. At which point they would point out the fact that I'm not supposed to talk either.

Maybe I can just have a "wear earplugs" day instead.

3 comments:

A Simple Wife said...

I periodically have no talking days. I've never explained them to my family; I just don't talk on some days. They usually spend the entire time I'm not talking trying to figure out "what's wrong" and why I'm "so mad" at them. The funny thing is that, without me asking, they usually overcompensate for whatever they think they did wrong - more chores get done without argument, they're more helpful in general, they don't bother me if I sit down to write (a big problem in our household).

Anonymous said...

The concept is sound, but how will the poor little boy be able to tell you about getting beat up for having a name like sunshine?

Colleen Henstra said...

Anonymous, huh? You are quite funny little bro. SunShine would never get beaten up, he is the youngest of five. He puts up a good defense.