Friday, May 04, 2007

Boy, do I feel stupid

As part of my super-mom antics, I design websites. I ran a home business for three years, and still have one client that I regularly work for. We have never met face to face and have always conversed through email and the phone. Anyway, I was cutting out an obituary for my boss at work and found that my web client had passed away. I was sort of in shock. I also didn't realize that he was 83 years old, and found it odd that he was still running his business. (Looking back now, that should have been a big clue.)

Last night, I got home from work and checked my email. There, posted among the living, was an email from Elmont. He wanted some updates added. Either stupidity kicked in at this point or I can blame it on the lateness of the hour (it was 2:00 in the morning) but I thought someone at their office was testing me. I replied:

"I was sorry to hear of Elmont's passing. Who has taken over for him? I will get these changes made ASAP."

And off my reply went into cyper world.

I spent some time last night contemplating the dead, and was reminded of our reincarnated cat. Checked my email this morning, and I had a reply. It said:

"Thank you. Dad has been retired from the business for the last 14 years so it is still me running things here. Thanks again. Elmont"

So I sent back:

"Well, that settles the confusion I had, and also the thought that your dad sounded very young and bright for his age when I spoke to him on the phone. I guess that's what can happen when you never meet face to face with someone, right? I'm happy to hear that you are alive and well. Sorry about your dad."

Web designers are supposed to be smart, aren't they?

No comments: