Sunday, November 11, 2007

Supermom hits a brick wall

So, what happens when supermom has surgery on her foot and has to use crutches for two weeks? Her superkids come to the rescue.

I spent last weekend plopped on the couch with my foot propelled in the air with a pile of pillows. I was told I could get up to go pee. That was it. I was to stay put for three days. Luckily, I didn't really think through the whole surgery idea and its consequences, or I would probably still be hobbling around on a sore foot instead of clomping around on crutches.

My husband stayed home on the day of the surgery and took care of me. He did really great on Saturday too. By Sunday, he was tired of playing foot maid to the surgery queen. I don't blame him. I'm rather obsessive compulsive and get upset easily when you stir my hot chocolate with the big spoon instead of the little one, or set the remote control down on my left side instead of my right. Well, maybe I'm not quite that bad. Okay, yes I am.

I was really worried about Monday morning. I had to get the kids off to school, get myself off to school, and go to work that night. However, superkids came to my rescue. They fought over who got to make my hot chocolate and who got to toast the bagels.

My Ellie has been very awesome. She has inherited her mother's obsessive behaviors (bless her heart) and she is really great at doing everything I need without my asking her - and exactly the way I would do it. Our dog has been on antibiotics. I asked her to fix a snack for him with his pill. This is a true show of her tendancies.

"Ellie, get the baggie down that has a piece of bread in it and tear off a piece. Then put a little bit of peanut butter on the bread, push the pill inside it, and fold it in half." Ellie gets everything down from the cupboard and sets in out. She tears a piece of bread. Then she says, "What side should I put the peanut butter on?"

Oh yes, I am raising a child to be just like me. I've apologized to her many times. At least I can help teach her how to overcome the obsession. Like I have. Really. Okay, not.

Anyway, I have been very humbled. I cannot do everything. I have found out how to carry a glass of water (okay, a can of Dr. Pepper) across the floor without spilling it. I hop around a lot in the kitchen and can clean for about 10 minutes before my "hopping" foot hurts too badly. I can sit on the folding table in the laundry room and fold clothes. I can even make my bed. But there is a lot that I can't do - and it takes four times as long to do it. I have had to resign myself to the fact that my house is not going to be spotless for the next few weeks, and I have to stop looking in the kitchen so I don't cringe at the mess. Recovery from hitting a brick wall takes a little time.

No comments: